XXXX Remember I will be in a clinic this time teaching primary care.
Our focus this week is on assessment of learner needs. Discuss strategies for learning needs assessment with your preceptor. Conduct a learning needs assessment and report the following in your reflective journal response:
- Describe the learner population in terms of (a) the subject of the learning module, (b) the environment where the teaching will occurâ€”academic, community, or clinical setting, (c) the number of students in the learner group, (d) their statusâ€”first-year students, second-year students, etc., (e) age and gender, and (f) anticipated generational differences among learners.
- Draw some conclusions about the diversity of the group you are assessing and explain how this will determine your teaching strategies.
- Describe your methods for formally or informally assessing your group and identify any constraints you encountered.
Be sure you write this journal â€œoff-lineâ€ and then copy/paste to this discussion forum (do not upload as a Word document). This will be something you will want to look back at as you progress forward in your upcoming role as a nurse educator.
Tie your discussion to QSEN, IOM recommendations, your personal goals, course objectives, NLN Nurse Educator competencies, and South Universityâ€™s College of Nursing Conceptual Framework Pillars (Caring, Communication, Critical Thinking, Professionalism, and Holism).
Last week we reviewed NLNâ€™s Core Competencies of Nurse Educators that you are asked to refer to in your reflective analysis. The conceptual framework is available in the Practicum Packet.
Respond to at least two colleagues providing insightful, supportive feedback that meets participation criteria as noted in the discussion rubric.
Discussion Question Response: By the due date assigned, post your response to the assigned discussion questions in the appropriate threads in the Discussion Area.
Journal Entry Requirements:
- A personal, introspective, subjective account that focuses on QSEN, IOM recommendations, personal goals, course objectives, and that ties to NLNâ€™s Nurse Educator Competencies.
- Connected to South Universityâ€™s College of Nursing Conceptual Framework Pillars (Caring, Communication, Critical Thinking, Professionalism, and Holism).
- Connected to prior coursework through reflective analysis.
Participation Responses: No later than the end of the week, review and comment on the discussion question responses posted by at least two of your peers.
Guidelines: Support your responses with scholarly academic references using APA style format. Assigned course readings and online library resources are preferred. Weekly lecture notes are designed as overviews to the topic for the respective week and should not serve as a citation or reference.
In your discussion question response, provide a substantive response that illustrates a well-reasoned and thoughtful response; is factually correct with relevant scholarly citations, references, and examples; and that demonstrates a clear connection to the readings.