Assignment 1: Network Access Control
Due Week 3 and worth 90 points
In a business environment, controlling who has access to business information and at what level is critical for facilitating day-to-day business operations. The emphasis of Network Access Control (NAC) it to decide who or what has authorized permission to access resources on the network. In a new age of risks, it is important to re-identify access controls.
Scenario: You have been hired as an IT Security Specialist for a company called LOTR Experience. The leadership at LOTR has recently expressed concerns over various possible security issues. They would like you to be â€œa new set of eyesâ€ and lead the efforts to review their current security protocols. As an expert in this field, your first task involves assessing NAC and providing a high-level assessment to leadership.
Write a technical assessment in which you:
- Analyze NAC Best Practices and how these can be detrimental to LOTR, outlining goals for the following areas:
- Endpoint Security
- Direct Login
- Remote Access
- Determine what type of mechanisms will be used to enforce and monitor NAC controls and the frequency with which these should be implemented.
- After assessing the LOTR Network Design, outline five (5) potential issues related to NAC that you see in the networkâ€™s overall design (high-level overview).
- Describe any operational risks that could affect business processes.
- Describe the consequences of a threat or vulnerability to the infrastructure.
- Recommend network changes that will implement the proper NAC controls.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine methods that mitigate risk to an IT infrastructure with confidentiality, integrity, availability, and access controls.
- Determine appropriate access controls for information systems within IT infrastructures.